The Prescott Badgers ended their season where it began, and the end result was the same, as the Badgers lost to the Desert Edge Scorpions 37-7.
The Badgers came out with a good game plan after receiving the opening kick off. Prescott used 6:07 of game clock converting on two fourth down plays to continue the drive. The first of those two fourth down plays occurred in Badger territory at their own 40. Nathan Wright blasted through the line for 3 yards to extend the drive. The second came on a fourth and three play, as Wright once again came through. This time for 10 yards inside the Scorpion 30. The drive soon came to end when the Badgers elected to go for a 37 yard field goal attempt, rather than push the issue on a fourth and seven at the Scorpion 20. The field goal attempt failed, giving Desert Edge the ball for the first time with 4:57 left in the opening quarter.
The explosive Scorpion offense took little time to move the ball. Adryan Lara hit Jihad Marks who took the ball to the Badger 36. Later on third down, Nate Goligoski and Nathan Wright joined forces to bring Lara down for a six yard loss sack. Desert Edge punted, pinning Prescott back to their own five yard line.
A couple plays later, quarterback Dellin Boyd appeared to be breaking a play open on a rush down the Badger sideline, but lost control of ball. The Scorpions recovered the fumble at the Badger 42.
Four plays later, Jeryll Mcintosh powered his way from 10 yards out, and the first touchdown of the game, with 1:10 on the clock of the first quarter. The extra point attempt by Matt Alcerreca hit the left upright, keeping the score at 6-0.
Prescott was forced to punt on their next possession, but missed out on a golden opportunity to get the ball back in Scorpion territory on a muffed punt. Desert Edge retained the ball at their own 25.
The Scorpions moved the ball to midfield, when the Badger defense had a chance to drop Lara for a big loss sack, but the shifty QB managed to break the play open for 19 yards to the Prescott 17. Lara would hit Jihad Marks on a bubble screen pass, with Marks scampering into the end zone for a 20 yard score.
The next Prescott drive was short lived, as Dellin Boyd's pass was picked off by Cliffonte Mcdowell and returned 38 yards to the Badger 33. Another potential sack of Lara allowed him to get down to the Badger 3. Jeryll Mcintosh went up the middle to score from 3 yards out, and Desert edge led 20-0 with 3:08 left in the first half.
Once again the Badgers struggled to move the ball, forcing a punt that stopped at the Scorpion 10 yard line with 1:10 left in the half. Lara went back to pass, and somehow got out of the grasp of Rhett Pearce at the goal line, firing a ball down field to Drew Patterson who took the ball 90 yards to the house, giving the Scorpions a 27-0 lead at the half.
The Badgers were looking for a fresh start to open the second half. Clay Gross kicked a line drive kick off into the up man Jeryll Mcintosh, who was fortunate to hold onto the ball. The Scorpions wasted no time to start the second half. Lara hit Drew Patterson in stride for a 53 yard touchdown, and Desert Edge led 34-0 with 11:48 left in the third quarter.
Prescott scored on their next possession as Nathan Wright bolted off tackle from 41 yards out to make the score 34-7 with 9:36 in the third.
The Badgers once again kicked the ball right at the up man on the return team. This time Cooper Wells came up with the deflected ball at the Scorpion 49.
Three plays later the Badgers were denied by a bad spot. Dellin Boyd ran to the Badgers side of the field on fourth down, but was marked short of the line to gain, turning the ball over on downs. Prescott was then penalized for unsportsmanlike penalty placing the ball in Badger territory.
The Prescott defense stopped the Desert Edge offense, but the Scorpions added a field goal by Matt Alcerreca to go up 37-7 with 3:51 remaining in the third.
The Badgers had one final chance to score, but Dellin Boyd fumbled the snap, and was recovered by Desert Edge their own 4 yard line.
Aaron Greene said, "Obviously not the way we wanted our season to end, but we left it all on the field tonight." When asked about the season, Greene added, "We had a good year and making the playoffs was one of our goals. Unfortunately we just didn't get it done tonight."
Unofficial stats had Nathan Wright leading the Badgers with 117 yards rushing on 19 carries and the Prescott TD. Sylas Espitia carried the ball 5 times for 51 yards, and Dellin Boyd was held to 29 yards on the ground and just 30 yards passing.The Scorpions were led by Adryan Lara who completed 10-21 for 232 yards and 4 touchdowns. Jeryll Mcintosh rushed for 114 yards and a touchdown.
Desert Edge (8-3) advances and will host Casa Grande, while the Badgers end the season at (7-4).
DESERT EDGE SCORPIONS 37, PRESCOTT BADGERS 7
Score by Quarters - 1 2 3 4 - T
Prescott 0 0 7 0 - 7
Desert Edge 6 21 10 0 - 37
DE-Mcintosh 10 yard run (Kick failed)
DE-Marks 20 yard pass from Lara (Alcerreca kick)
DE- Mcintosh 3 yard run (Alcerreca kick)
DE-Patterson 90 yard pass from Lara (Alcerreca kick)
DE-Patterson 53 yard pass from Lara (Alcerreca kick)
P-Wright 41 yard run (Gross kick)
DE-Alcerreca 33 yard field goal
Team stats Prescott Desert Edge
First Downs 14 20
Rushing Yards 47-227 25-179
Passing Yards 30 212
Total Yards 257 391
Passing 3-14-1 10-21-0
Fumbles-Lost 2-2 1-0
Penalties-Yards 5-44 2-20
(1) Sahuaro 46, (16) Glendale 25
(9) Gila Ridge 10, (8) Coconino 9
(12) Casa Grande 26, (5) Walden Grove 19
(4) Desert Edge 34, (13) Prescott 7
(14) Marcos de Niza 13, (3) Canyon del Oro 7
(6)Mesquite 21, (11) Pueblo Magnet 6
(7) Peoria 22, (10) Greenway 7
(2) Cactus 43, (15) Tempe 6
(1) Red Mountain 43, (16) Corona del Sol 14
(8) Desert Ridge 58, (9) Cesar Chavez 41
(5) Highland 47, (12) Valley Vista 0
(4) Queen Creek 50, (13) Boulder Creek 36
(3) Perry 38, (14) Mountain Ridge 25
(6) Desert Vista 52, (11) Basha 26
(7) Liberty 76, (10) La Joya Community 28
(15) Mountain View Mesa 35, (2) Brophy Prep 19
(1) Williams Field 56, (16) Mountain View Marana 25
(8) Sunrise Mountain 49, (9) Buena 36
(5) Millennium 45, (12) Gilbert 14
(4) Casteel 41, (13) Ironwood Ridge 14
(3) Higley 56, (14) Ironwood 12
(6) Campo Verde 41,(11) McClintock 20
|(7) Cienega 27, (10) Sunnyslope 24
(2) Notre Dame Prep 38, (15) Verrado 28
(1) Benjamin Franklin 56, (16) Ganado 0
(9)Arizona Lutheran Academy (Gilbert) 27, (8) Coolidge 21
(5) Blue Ridge 35, (12) AZ College Prep 13
(4) Snowflake 42, (13) River Valley 7
(3) Northwest Christian 49, (14) Odyssey Institute 7
(11) Yuma Catholic 24, (6) Valley Christian 15
(10) Sabino 30, (7) Safford 19
(2) Arizona Lutheran Academy (Queen Creek) 49, (15) Payson 13
(1) Round Valley 52, (16) Miami 30
(9) Benson 63, (8) Veritas Prep 19
(5) Parker 20, (12) Antelope Union 0
(4) Santa Cruz Valley 39, (13) Chandler Prep 6
(3) Phoenix Christian 62, (14) Alchesay 6
(6) St. Johns 35, (11) Arizona Lutheran 7
(7) Thatcher 48, (10) Bisbee 7
(2) Trivium Prep 35, (15) Morenci Jr/Sr 28
Division 1A 8-Man
(1) Williams 49, (5) Hayden 0
(7) Mogollon (8-3) vs. (3) Superior (8-1), at Coronado H.S., Tonight, 7pm